Wednesday, December 16, 2009

If you have tears, prepare to shed them now

Push
Sapphire

Woohoo -- I've finished reviews left over from October; now it's time for some tardy reviews from last month. No more tardy for the party!

So, I was doing a little Amazon shopping a few weeks ago, when I needed just a wee bit more for free shipping -- six buckies, to be exact. Amazon kindly made some recommendations, and I found Push for exactly six bucks. Six bucks?!?!? And it didn't even have the annoying movie tie-in cover? Sold!

Most of you are probably already aware that Push is the novel that has been made into the movie Precious, which has lately taken Hollywood by storm. While I haven't seen the movie, I have seen enough interviews with the actors in the film to know that I wanted to know more about this story.

Prose-wise, Push is a simple enough read, and I read it entirely over my Sunday-morning coffee. Prose aside, however, Push is not an easy book to read. Precious is badly abused by both her mother and her father, and her struggle to escape the cycle of violence is heartwrenching. Some passages are quite difficult to read, and -- I'm sure you could see this coming -- I cried more than once.

In a nutshell: Precious's story might disturb you, but her spirit will enchant you.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: Dammit, I just said I bought this for myself from Amazon!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a book that I definitely want to read. But like you, I'll probably cry my eyes out as well. I very interested in seeing the movie too. But I hear lots of tears from that too! Can't win. Guess I'm going to cry.

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

I have seen the movie and am now very interested in picking up the book. Thanks for your review.

Lesley said...

Thanks a big f-ing lot - now I have that godawful hot mess of a song in my head! Get it out, get it out!

As for the book, I want to read it, if one of our library copies becomes available in the next year or so ...

Bibliolatrist said...

Sorry, Lesley! (Don't worry; after reading your comment, it got stuck in MY head, so you've got your revenge!)