Thursday, December 17, 2009

There isn't enough Purell in the world

The Hot Zone
Richard Preston

The Hot Zone is a book I read in November. Thankfully, after this, I'll be all caught up and will be able to cover some December reads. NICE.

I don't know why, but I've been reading a lot of disturbing books lately, mostly one that involves end-of-the-world scenarios. And while The Hot Zone doesn't necessarily concern the end of the world, it was apocalyptic enough for me.

The Hot Zone is all about EBOLA. In fact, that's how I imagine the word in my head: all in caps. It's just that intense. Lord knows I'm paranoid enough about such things, so I can only wonder what possessed me to read this book. (Actually, I do know. It was Heather's review of it. Gee, thanks, Heather.) Needless to say, if EBOLA ever hits my area, I'm throwing myself in front of a bus at the first warning symptom. I'll be damned if I'm going to endure the grueling progression of this disease.


Wait -- what? It sloughs...off? And comes out where???
FML.


Besides the disturbing nature of the book (which the sick part of me took delight in), there were some drawbacks. I had an issue with the organization of the book, since it jumped around a bit in parts, and a few parts dragged while others were repetitive. Overall, however, The Hot Zone was a frightening, all-too-real read. And I won't even mention the part about how EBOLA arrived in Washington D.C. a little over a decade ago. FEARPARANOIAVOMIT.

In a nutshell: Not for the faint of heart, The Hot Zone is a terrifying true story that reminds why I hate leaving my house and interacting with dirty humans.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: I bought this one for my library, in case I ever want to enjoy the gruesomeness again.



5 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

hehehe! Now you'd got those images in your head and they won't ever leave! I know, 'cause they're in my head too ...

It truly IS a horrifying disease, isn't it? So glad I convinced you to read it!

Lesley said...

I had to laugh when I saw the title for this post - I definitely will NOT be recommending this book to my husband. He already has an obsession with using that stuff and I think if he read this book he'd be ordering himself a bubble suit off the internet.

However, I did actually want to read this book a few years ago, but then never got around to it and forgot about it. But then it must be on some school list here because every summer we get a flock of high school students in asking for it.

Cath said...

You, ma'am, are a braver woman than I.

Madeleine said...

This is one book I will not read and I will join you in front of the bus should this horrible plague hit the shore.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

purell instant hand sanitizer said...

I appreciated this! Keep up the good work, I like your writing. I have gotten some good information here.