Saturday, March 06, 2010

Deep water, deep trouble

Deep Storm
Lincoln Child

So here I was, feeling all smug that I had finished my February reviews well before the end of the month itself. Then I remembered Deep Storm.

Don't be fooled: my poor memory is not an indication of the novel's quality -- Deep Storm was a real "page" turner. My forgetting is due more to the fact that I had downloaded this one for my Kindle, and, as such, did not have a physical copy lying around as a visual reminder of the outstanding review.

Deep Storm is a bit outlandish, but this quality just adds to the fun. I wasn't expecting literature; I was expecting a fast-paced thriller, and I wasn't disappointed.

The novel begins as naval physician Peter Crane reaches an oil rig to help treat what he thinks is a run-of-the-mill problem. By the time he gets there, however, he learns that he won't be treating people on the rig itself, but rather miles and miles below it. You see, the oil rig is just a cover for a government-run research facility located many miles below the surface. What are they excavating down there? Why all the secrecy? And what is attacking the residents?

Deep Storm provides enough surprises to prevent the tale from feeling predictable, and readers won't have time to feel bored due to the fast pacing. This novel was a fun read perfect for the Kindle, as reading Deep Storm on the treadmill helped me walk through page after page.

In a nutshell: Thrilling, chilling, and just incredible enough, this one is a fun, fast read. I'm on the hunt for my next read by this author.

Bibliolatry Scale: 5 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: Bought the Kindle version; this book's perfect for the treadmill!





6 comments:

Cath said...

I read on the treadmill, too! I love the Kindle for that. This really sounds like a book my dad would like (I mean that in the best way, my dad is awesome) and so I'm going to give it to him for his birthday later this month. And then borrow it. :)

Great review, as always!

Marie Cloutier said...

Sounds awesome! Sounds like a good time.

tweezle said...

I really like your blog. I came here via the Blog Hop, and am now a follower.

Have a great evening!
Tweezle from Just One More Paragraph

Morgan said...

It's nice to know of other people that have Kindles. And the treadmill? I never thought of that before but I will defiantly give it a try. great review!

Lisa said...

Hey there, just hoppin' on by from Blog HOp!
I am now a new follower!

Tribute Books said...

love the review , will read. Thanks!