Monday, March 29, 2010

Speak now or forever hold your peace

Speak
Laurie Halse Anderson

I needed something to break my reading funk, and I knew Speak was just the book to do it.

I feel as though I'm the last person on earth to read Laurie Halse Anderson (I generally don't read YA fiction, not because I'm against it, per se, but more because I simply forget YA titles when considering what next to read), so a summary of Speak is probably not necessary. You want a summary anyway, you say?

Ok: Speak = Teen outcast + freshman year + many problems + no friends + A BIG SECRET. That, in essence, is the novel.

Of course, there's a lot more to Speak than just that. Nearly everyone can relate to Melinda in one way or another, even if you've never experienced some of her problems. While it does have a few flaws -- the end, for one, didn't sit right with me, and some points could have been better developed/resolved -- Speak remains a fast, engaging read by an author whose other books I need in my life. Now.

In a nutshell: Teen outcasts are good for adult non-outcasts, too.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4.5 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: You can see where this is headed, no? Yep, I bought this one. Surprise!




5 comments:

Cath said...

*Excepting, of course, Sweet Valley High!

Cath said...

I don't read a lot of YA, either, but I have to admit that the fact you enjoyed this is persuasive. ;)

Anonymous said...

Good for you... for all of the people who are tied up in the drama of "Prep" or "Twilight," read this instead.

Tribute Books said...

Will read,thanks for the review.

Meytal Radzinski said...

I know what you mean about the ending, but I can't help but feel like this book, in addition to plain being good, is Important. One of those, you know?

As for Laurie Halse Anderson's other books, I've liked each I've read for different reasons and in different ways (I have not read them all). "Catalyst" is probably my favorite among the "others", though I know a lot of people didn't like it as much as I did. But it's got some nice chemistry fun thrown in, so...