Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Savage Readalong: Week 2

Hello again, savages!

Participants in the Savage Readalong have (or are about to) finish the first section of the novel, Mexicans Lost in Mexico, which ends at the start of the new year, our young narrator tearing off into the night with his heroes Ulises and Arturo.

So far, I find the story engaging, even though I don't really care what happens to anyone in the book. I find it odd that I'm not really emotionally invested in any of the characters, even the narrator, and yet I'm still enjoying the book.

I'm also surprised by Bolano's writing; I had anticipated a more tedious read, and yet I'm finding myself able to read great chunks at a time. The final scene (in which Garcia Madero rides off into the moonlight) was fast-paced and hallucinatory. I'm not sure everything he thinks is happening is actually happening, although it's too soon to tell that.

Either way, I'm finding myself enjoying the novel and eager to see what happens to these fools in the next section, The Savage Detectives.

What are your thoughts on the story thus far? What about the style of Bolano's writing?

I'd love to hear your thoughts -- and if you haven't signed up to read with us, it's not too late!





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I happen to be just under 200 pages from the ending of The Savage Detectives, though I'm not part of the read-a-long here. I should have signed up for it. I think you are enjoying the book more than I am right now, though I did love the first section.

You are right about how easy it is to read large sections of the book at one sitting. The writing is breezy and conversational. You're also right about not really caring that much about any of the characters.

I'll be interested in seeing what you think of the book as you go along.

Marie Cloutier said...

I've been watching this readalong with interest- everyone seems more or less to be enjoying it so far. A good sign! :-)

J.C. Montgomery said...

So far so good, although I feel the same as some others, I am not finding myself feeling a lot of empathy towards the characters so far.

Readalong Week 2