Monday, January 30, 2006

The Stones of Summer, by Dow Mossman

The Stones of Summer
Dow Mossman

I give up.

Before I begin to discuss this book, allow me to first explain how it arrived on my bookshelf. My uncle is an English professor who always recommends books for me to read. Usually, I love them. Occasionally, I don’t (see Possession). But usually, I agree that they are great.

Enter The Stones of Summer.

After the book was released, my uncle wasted no time in exhorting me to buy the book. He told me the whole back story, that this book was written years ago and then blah blah blah and anyway, he was so convincing that I went out and bought it immediately. In hardback.

I AM STUCK WITH THIS EFFER IN HARDBACK.

So I started reading this behemoth months ago. Months. And I may be busy with my job and all but months? And all this time I can’t get past page 200. AND THERE ARE STILL 400 PAGES LEFT.

I can’t do it.

I should have read more reviews of the book. I would have known to ignore my uncle on this one. I would have seen the comparisons to Faulkner (who doesn’t bother me THAT much) and to Joyce (who does). I wouldn’t have purchased the book IN HARDBACK.

I keep hearing: stick with it. By the time you finish it, it’s really good. Just stick with it. Read about 5 pages a day.

FIVE PAGES A DAY?

No. Absolutely not. A book I read for pleasure should not be so god-awful boring that I have to force myself to read a few pages a day. Besides, I already read the last two pages so I know how it ends. AND I DON’T CARE. I HATE EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IN THE BOOK AND WHAT’S MORE, I HATE THE AUTHOR. HATE HATE HATE ALKJDF;ALJF;ALJDFLAJF

Sorry.

Yeah, so. I’m not going to finish this one. And if anyone wants to buy a hardback copy of The Stones of Summer, just let me know. It’s discounted.

In a nutshell: If you’re in to S&M, bondage, that sort of thing, give this a try. It’s pretty painful. I guess if you rank James Joyce as one of your favorites, you too might like this book. Otherwise, don’t bother.

Bibliolatry Scale: abandoned

3 comments:

Chiron said...

Oh, Bibliolatrist!! Wherefore art thy tastes??? Zero stars??? NOOOOOOOO!!!!

This is one of the best bildungsroman I have ever read!

I only wish I had read this post when you made it.

Jenski said...

I came across your blog when I googled The Stones of Summer. I just saw the documentary last night and I am intrigued to read a book that compelled someone to make a documentary about it. However, I have read enough "you HAVE to read this book" books to know to not expect to be blown away. After all, how books affect us depends on many things including our life experiences, tastes, and expectations so I will proceed with caution. However, the book is behind War and Peace on my To Read list so I won't be getting to it any time in the near future (retirement is 30 odd years off).

glad I found your blog.

Anonymous said...

i just googled stones of summer after reading it. I think this has to be one of my favourite books...
Yeah, the beggining is slow...but strangely compelling(It only took me two days to read). I guess it just comes down to whether you identify with the main character or not. I'll be quoting this book for years...

Maybe you sadistic users should spend less time bagging a book you haven't read...and more time reading mills and boon novels.

I also read Possession recently...(This was in no doubt, a very, very good book). I don't understand how you can not like it. Tell me other books your uncle reccomends, and you hate so I can read them...