Sunday, June 11, 2006

A House for Mr. Biswas, by V.S. Naipaul

A House for Mr. Biswas
V.S. Naipaul

I respect A House for Mr. Biswas, but I can't say I enjoyed it. It's a difficult book, and I felt every single page. However, Naipaul has been part of my attempt to read recent Nobel Laureates, and I'm glad that I just managed to get through this one in a timely manner.

The book centers on Mohun Biswas, a Hindu man living in Trinidad. He is born unlucky, and eventually marries into a luckless marriage to Shama Tulsi. The book chronicles his attempts to find a home of his own as he desperately tries to leave the home of his wife's people.

The writing is superb, as is Naipaul's meticulous observations of the delicate interactions between people. And yet, it all struck me as a bit cold. I pitied the plight of Mr. Biswas, who only wanted to get away from the billion people jammed under the Tulsi roof, but I didn't quite feel for him. I felt bad that the guy could never get a break, but he didn't exactly help matters. Most of the other characters were annoying and unlikable, just as Mr. Biswas found them all to be.

A House for Mr. Biswas has been described as "epic," and it is, but I wish it weren't. Had the book been shortened by even 200 pages, the book might have been more enjoyable. On the positive side, I truly felt Mr. Biswas' frustration at the interminable time it took for him to realize his goal.

Illumination Factor: Well, he won the Nobel, so it's not surprising that the book provides great insight. Apart from obvious truths (i.e., don't marry unless you have thought about it for a very long time and NEVER live with your in-laws), A House for Mr. Biswas is clear about an individual's obligation to society: support yourself and your family without having to depend on others. Hard work doesn't always pay off, and it certainly doesn't guarantee that one will move ahead in the world. But above all, avoid being dependent. Dependence on others is hell.

In a nutshell: Great literature, but it did not create too much of an emotional attachment. Beautifully and painstakingly written, A House for Mr. Biswas is a slow read but has some great moments.

Bibliolatry Scale: 3.5 out of 6 stars

No comments: