Friday, October 01, 2010

I only care about Mookie, not gonna lie

Ancestor
Scott Sigler

After reading Infected and its sequel Contagious, I couldn't wait to read Sigler's next novel. Would Ancestor live up to my earlier experiences?

Ancestor moves away from the alien invasion that played a part in his first two novels, and instead focuses on a monster much closer to home. A biotech company is seeking to engineer a suitable animal host that can support organs for human transplantation. As cow embryo after embryo fails to do the job, they decide to go back a bit further, introducing genes from an ancestor. It seems to work, and the crew watches as their livestock brings these no-longer extinct animals back to live.

Of course, what seems like a good idea really isn't. These scientists have unwittingly given life to a super-predator, and it isn't long before the dozens of creatures they have bred get hungry. Very hungry. Oh, and they are quite smart. Ruh-roh, guys. Ruh-roh.

Ancestor is grounded in science and sounds eerily plausible, even if such an "ancestor" never existed. My only beef is the first 40% of the novel (thanks, kindle!) was a little too heavy on the science. Had that been condensed a bit, my enjoyment would have been complete.

Overall, I can't complain. Yet again, Sigler has written a fast-paced, thought-provoking novel that delivers. And, he came through with Mookie -- that meant a lot, man.

In a nutshell: Smart and unsettling, Ancestor prompts us to fear the monsters of tomorrow (and, ironically enough, of yesterday).

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: downloaded this one for my Kindle

RIPV: Those freaky ancestors and the spine-tingling suspense that marks the final third of the novel are more than enough to qualify Ancestor for this year's RIP challenge. That would be numero 3. Bam!





5 comments:

Scott Sigler said...

I'm glad you enjoyed ANCESTOR, and Mookie says "thanks for thinking of me!" You can send her a doggie treat.

Esther said...

I'm a big Scott Sigler fan. I have listened to his podcasts since he began sending them down the tubes so I started with Earthcore.
Of the ones set on Earth my favourite is Infected.
But my all time favourite is The Rookie. How that man got me interested in a story about American Football I have no idea but I loved it.

Kailana said...

I have never heard of this author before but he sounds right up my alley. I will have to see if the library carries anything by him. Great review!

Chrisbookarama said...

Sounds very creepy!

Unknown said...

I definitely like the over the top science bit as well.

So this is the third in the series then?