Saturday, November 29, 2008

Get your freak on

The Tutu Ballet
Sally Lee

Uh oh! Trouble's afoot (hardy har har) when Ms. Berry teaches ballet to a very diverse group of students in The Tutu Ballet. Instead of following her instructions, each student performs a "signature" move. Ms. Berry decides to make the best of the situation by organizing a ballet that highlights the talents of each of her students. As a result, Ms. Berry and her students perform the best -- or at least the most unique -- ballet ever.

As you could probably tell, The Tutu Ballet is all about individuality. Part of me was a little bothered by the message: Hey! I ranted. Real life isn't like that! You can't jump when you have to twirl! But then I realized this was a book for young children, and I suppose they can have their innocence for as long as possible.

The Tutu Ballet is probably best for really young children: the words, storyline, and pictures are very simple and engaging. I'd read The Tutu Ballet to children six years of age or younger. Or maybe four or five. Hell, we all know I'm bad at judging ages. I'll tell you what: if the kid's really smart, you should probably skip The Tutu Ballet. If, on the other hand, the child is a few bricks short of a load (not that there's anything wrong with that; I'm sure he's just a late bloomer, really) read on.

In a nutshell: Of course, The Tutu Ballet does teach the lesson that "if you want to do it, ef the rules," so caveat emptor and all that.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

No comments: