Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday procrastination

It's been awhile since I've done a links post, but a few things have recently caught my eye, so here you go.

The biggest Updike fan I know, RabbitReader remembers the late author.

Speaking of great authors I don't particularly enjoy, someone's found a great way to make Jane Austen a bit more palatable. The awesomeness continues with other titles if you're interested. (Via GalleyCat)

Feeling unmotivated this Friday? Allow Vonnegut to give you a motivational kick in the ass. (Via Literary Kicks)

Jacket Copy discusses the most beautiful words in English. Surprisingly, Jennifer didn't make the list. I call shenanigans.

And finally, if you need to appear to be working today (yet don't really feel like doing so), try an online novel. The Telegraph is presenting Corduroy Mansions, an online novel by Alexander McCall. I haven't yet undertaken it (it's already up to chapter 88), but the idea of a free, online-only novel is intriguing. Anyone reading this?


3 comments:

Eva @ One Swede Read said...

Thanks for the heads-up on Corduroy Mansions - I'm downloading the podcast now!

Anonymous said...

I just posted about "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" myself. I covet this, despite the fact that I haven't read the original. Thanks for the link to the other titles. Let the awsomeness go on!

Isn't Jennifer a name rather than a word? Joy (as in J.S.Peyton) - now that's a name and a word. That should definitely be on the list. =)

Have a great weekend!

Scriptor Senex said...

Good posting (as usual), I enjoyed the links, thanks.