Monday, November 23, 2009

Rachel, my torment

My Cousin Rachel
Daphne DuMaurier

I've been meaning to post about my lastest encounter with the late, great Daphne DuMaurier. Not too long ago, I read Rebecca, and I was floored. I knew I had to read something else by this author, and when I found a discounted version of My Cousin Rachel, I knew fate was on my side.

It wasn't long before fate and I had yet another run-in, this time during one momentous day in October when I was called for jury duty. Thankfully, I remembered my new friend and brought her along for the day. We had a wonderful time together, as we eagerly anticipated hearing each subsequent round of suckers jurors who were next up. I dodged a bullet that day, but if it weren't for the experience, I might not have been able to read My Cousin Rachel. Each hellacious hour was filled with this spellbinding story, and while reading I was able to imagine that I was far from the courthouse that day.

Instead, I was on the estate of Philip Ashley (AKA Idiot Who Needs a Smack in the Head). Philip, who has been raised by his cousin Ambrose, looks back on his life and the choices that have brought him to this moment. Idiot takes us back in time, to a time when Ambrose was still alive. They loved one another. A lot. (But not like that -- jeez.)

At any rate, they love one another so much that Idiot fairly falls apart after Ambrose passes away. Ambrose, a confirmed bachelor (I'm pretty sure he likes to spit on the floor in the face of encroaching femininity or some such) goes off to Italy for a little healthification. While there, he meets his cousin Rachel, whom he -- previous misogyny be damned -- quickly marries. Unfortunately, the happy groom's health takes a turn for the worse, and it isn't long before he's dead. When Cousin Idiot learns the news, he is crushed.

Right: Olivia deHavilland as Rachel squares off against Richard Burton as the Idiot

Impetuously, he blames Rachel. But when he inherits the entire estate, it becomes clear that Rachel has no financial claim on anything. Perhaps his blame was hasty. But then Rachel returns to England, and all sorts of shit hit the fan. Philip is soon torn apart by powerful, conflicting forces: he falls in love with her, but also believes she had a hand in his cousin's death. Plenty of evidence support each side of the argument.

Was Rachel guilty? Did she poison Ambrose -- and does she mean to do the same to the idiot? One can only hope! (He's dumb enough to warrant it.) But don't worry about him: he's got a fool-proof plan for flushing her out into the open. Only, not. Read the book and be flabbergasted at that genius ending! Brilliant!

In a nutshell: The ambiguity! The uncertainty! DuMaurier, you've done it again.

Bibliolatry Scale: 6 out of 6 stars

FTCBS: I bought this one meself, so la la la lala.





10 comments:

Thomas Hogglestock said...

Thanks for this review. More than a few people have told me recently that I need to read Du Maurier. But until this moment, I have never even bothered to find out what her books are like. Which one should I read first?

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

A most excellent review. I suppose jury duty does have its bright side after all.

Amy said...

I am on the floor laughing. Great review. I love Rebecca, I will have to check this out.

Bibliolatrist said...

Thomas, it might just be because I read My Cousin Rachel recently, but I'm going to tell you to start with that one. I'm still basking in its glow.

booklineandsinker said...

i have yet to read anything by du maurier--practically a crime, i know! maybe i'll get to it next month.

as for jury duty--i served on one for the first time last year and LOVED it. it was so cool to be a part of our justice system and see how it really works.

it was educational and interesting and even though it may be flawed, i'd much rather be a part of our legal system than live in a country where we have no rights at all! :)

Bibliolatrist said...

Natalie, you're right. Unfortunately, not only am I a pessimist, but also there seemed to be a high number of 1) people who hadn't bathed in some time, and 2) a large number of ill jurors who continually hacked up a lung for the entire day. I was skeeved. Thankfully, I had Rachel. :)

Marie Cloutier said...

Wow, sounds like a showstopper. I HAVE to make time for her soon!

Bybee said...

I really like Rebecca, but I've never read any of Du Maurier's other novels. Thanks for the MCR recommendation.

Lesley said...

I believe I have the same discounted version of this book (which I also bought shortly after reading Rebecca) but I haven't yet read it. Hearing that it's as good as my first foray into Du Maurier, I think I should put it on my TBR stack!

Zibbby said...

I'll recommend THE KING'S GENERAL. Wonderful characters and read.

You calling him "the idiot" is perfect. He's considered an great example of the unreliable narrator. His sheltered life gives him a skewed view of the world.