Friday, August 24, 2007

Barbarella look like she's my dead ringer

I thought a fun listening post would be apropos for a Friday, which happens to be my last day of summer. It is with deepest regret that I announce my return to work on Monday. BOO. (Actually, not really; like all nerds, I'm looking forward to returning to school.)

Anyway, I know I rarely post about music; books are my thing really, but M.I.A.'s (real name: Maya Arulpragasam) new cd Kala is just amazing. I don't care if this is hardly an original opinion: it's undeniably good. Even more wonderful is the fact that you don't even have to buy it; NME is streaming it in its entirety and all you have to do is register (it's free).

At any rate, here are my two favorites, "Jimmy" and "Bamboo Banga." I haven't been able to get either song out of my head for two weeks. If you're interested in learning more about her, you can visit M.I.A.'s myspace page, her wikipedia entry, or her website. And in compiling these links, I myself learned something new: M.I.A. is older than I am. That just makes me love her more. I didn't think it possible.

M.I.A., I ♥ you girl.







No comments: