Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Questions for bookbloggers

I've seen this posted on several bookblogs, so I thought I'd waste some time and do it too. Have fun reading my insightful answers to these questions.

What are you reading right now?
All the books in my sidebar, plus a few more. I'm too lazy to update that sidebar as often as I should. Maybe I ought to just delete that damn thing altogether. It's rarely current.

Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that?
Yes, I have a pile of about a dozen books waiting to be read.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom right now?
I don't keep magazines in the bathroom -- it creeps me out. My favorite magazines, though, are Bookmarks, Self, and The Sun.

What’s the worst thing you were ever forced to read?
Probably non-fiction from a boring period, like the Puritans in American Lit or the Restoration/Enlightment period in British Lit. Vico's New Science was pretty damn boring too, as was a bunch of theory I had to read for a graduate course on writing.

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don’t they?
No, because I prefer to own my books. In fact, I only use the library located at my work, and the librarians there obviously know my name since we're coworkers. But I'd say the UPS man and my mailwoman know me well. The mailwoman more so, since we chat. Yes, I am actually being sociable. Woot woot.

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
Lolita. The Handmaid's Tale. Wuthering Heights. Life of Pi. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Ok, so I named several.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don’t like it at all?
Most people don't get Lolita, even though I think it's one of the most exquisite works ever written. A lot of people aren't as into House of Leaves, but I don't rank that one as highly as Lolita.

Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you’re on the computer? While you’re having sex? While you’re driving?
Eat: sometimes, depends on what I'm eating. I love to read while eating a bowl of cereal, a delicacy I haven't allowed myself for a long time. Bathing: No, I shower only. Movies or TV: Yes, since I can rarely sit through an entire program without succumbing to boredom. On the computer: Sometimes. Having sex: Um, no. Driving: Not if I'm the driver, duh. I prefer not to die any time soon.

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?
I don't think so, but I tend to forget unpleasant things. My husband teases me though.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?
It's been awhile since I've done that. Doesn't matter how good the book is, past a certain time and I'm falling asleep. I'm a morning person.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, so I need to add Lolita (was afraid of it for years) and Handmaid's Tale to my list-as I just started Blind Assassin this week-luvit-- I am SO with you on the others listed in your recommend list. here's aquestion they didn't ask you- approx how many books do you own?

Unknown said...

Oh, me again. Tell me if you ever make it through V- have had that on my shelf for 15 years and never able to finish it. Maybe if Pynchon would reveal himself???

Bibliolatrist said...

I own about 600 books, give or take. If you check out my LibraryThing profile, you can see more about them. I'm not finished cataloguing them all though, since I found it a bit tedious after awhile. As for V, I doubt I'll finish it any time soon. I haven't touched the thing in months. Life's too short, and all that. :)