Wednesday, May 28, 2008

HELP

I need your help.

See, I love to read. I also like to shop. And I reallly like to shop for stuff to read.

Put them together and what do you get?

The Amazon Kindle.

I want a Kindle. I need a Kindle. First, it will help me read and shop. Lots. Only -- and this is nice -- I won't have to find storage space for all the books I'd buy in paper form. (I'm running out of bookshelf room, as I've already filled three large bookcases and have not room for another.) Even better still, the Kindle's sneaky: my husband would never know that I spent another [insert dollar amount here] on books. I'd be spending less anyway, not only because Kindle books are cheaper but also because some sites even offer free e-books.

True, I wouldn't be able to get the feel of the book, and I wouldn't have pages to turn. I also couldn't write in the book, although the Kindle does allow you to make notations (which I don't often do anyway, at least not in the book itself). The biggest drawback is the lack of a hard copy to add to my library, a physical manifestation of all the reading I've done over the years. True, I don't own every book I've ever read, so to ignore the Kindle over something like that is a bit silly.

Right: my lover beckons

To tempt me even further, Amazon recently dropped 50 bucks off the price. The siren call of the Kindle has been sounding even louder in my ears for the past two days. I've some money saved, and it's burning a big ol' hole in my pocket. Of course, patience is a virtue too.

So what's a girl to do?

I leave it to you, dear readers. Advise me. Lead me. Guide me. If you love your Kindle, I'd love to know why. If, however, you view the Kindle as a scourge upon the heart and soul of literature, an evil that further corrupts an already technology-dependent culture, then I implore you to save me from myself.

10 comments:

trish said...

I say go for it! I've sworn off the Kindle myself, but that doesn't mean it'll be the best thing since sliced bread for you. And maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon when my soon-to-be husband realizes HOW MUCH MONEY I spend on books. Though I've kinda solved that problem by getting ARCs now...

Anonymous said...

What if you drop it in the bath?

Bybee said...

I'm curious about it myself.

Unknown said...

I keep putting it off because it doesn't seem like it would be comfortable to read-I can't imagine being home on a rainy Saturday curled up on the couch with my dogs and a Kindle. I love the feel of an actual book, the smell of an actual book, the visceral experience of the book with the smooth cover and all that. Also, I love the art on book covers. I feel like the technology takes some of the heart and soul out of the experience.

Then again, I think it would be awesome for vacations, because I can never fit enough paper copies of books in my carry on or suitcase to keep me reading for a week away from my bookshelf. It would be awesome to be able to store up a bunch of books in a Kindle and stick it in my purse for planes, car rides, long lines at the grocery store.

Also, I read while I cook and it would keep me from having to hold an entire book while I stir the sauce.

I'm thinking it could definitely be worth the money, but it will never fully replace paper copies of books for me.

SFP said...

I'm linking to my post on the Kindle:

http://pagesturned.blogspot.com/2008/04/what-im-reading.html

I definitely enjoy having one, but I never intend to have it replace books, just supplement them.

Sam said...

I have one of the Sony Readers which is similar to the Kindle. I find that it is great for vacations and business trips when weight is an issue. But it will never replace the real thing and will always be a tool that I use when it is more convenient than carrying a load of books with me.

It's also kind of neat to be able to sneak it into boring meetings of large groups...everyone fools with electronic gadgets so much that they assume I'm checking emails and the like while I sneak in a few pages. :-)

jma212 said...

I agree with Sam Houston. An e-reader(Sony, Kindle, etc..) could be a great gadget for traveling, but I can't give up the cover art, the pages, the feel of cracking the book open.....

Also, right now they're very new and expensive. Much like DVD players and MP3 players, I'm sure the price will drop and quality will increase soon enough. They may also combine them with another device too - I bought my new MP3 player just before they came out with the phone/MP3 combos, which would be perfect for me, so now I have to wait a few years before getting one. No way I'm gonna fal into that trap with an e-reader too!

I'm sure you'll figure out what is best for you, and if you get the Kindle, I hope you enjoy it!

jma212
www.jma212.blogspot.com

Edwin Hesselthwite said...

Jen, Jen, Jen!

What about the Zombies?

Say the apocalypse comes tomorrow, and you from the sweat of your own brow are driven from your home, not to return for several years... After fighting back the hordes of zombies for that stash of antibiotics I know you keep hidden beneath a floorboard, you finally get to your book collection...

Except just as you glory in your triumph, you realise "Hoburn's survival guide: how to build a nuclear reactor from toothpicks, and the art of blacksmithing" was actually bought for your Kindle, and you no longer have a power supply to recharge it.

As you scream with rage, you forget the house is surrounded by the living dead, and you are slain as the hordes crush through your door.

Your last thought "Damn you Amazon".

Donald Capone said...

I think they dropped the price because they are about to launch an updated version. Just a theory. But you might want to hold off and get a more flashy version.

Bibliolatrist said...

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful comments. With your help, I've decided to wait for a future version of the Kindle (although I might not even get one of those).

I don't often travel, so buying a Kindle wouldn't help me there. There are always those times when I'd like to have lots to read, but that doesn't mean I should go out and get one.

If I do get one at all, it'll be a second-gen Kindle, since there are a few bugs in the first one (according to the copious reviews on Amazon).

But, as many of you said, it won't ever replace the real thing -- but it will be good for those bestsellers that I don't really need to own.

Clearly, guides that will help me survive the impending zombie invasion are a must in physical form only. We all know the zombies are coming, people! Let's not jest about it.

Thanks again, everyone!