Thursday, May 15, 2008

When I consider how my light is spent ...

No time for a full review today (although a review on a literary thriller is forthcoming, don't you worry), but I had to pass along this great article I found courtesy of Jacket Copy, which linked to this Granta article about the Web Habits of Highly Effective People.

Unfortunately, instead of inspiring me to surf less, I've added more links to my Favorites folder. Great.

This lead me to ponder how I spend my online time. I, of course, am NOT highly effective, so don't expect me to surf "an hour a day" like some of the people featured in the article.

Here's how I'd respond to Granta's request:

I start a web session by checking my email. All three accounts (personal, work, and blog). Then Facebook. Sometimes MySpace, although MySpace blows in comparision to Facebook. Then I hit OhNoTheyDidnt, because what is more important than celebrity news? Sometimes I check Perez Hilton (but not too often, mind you). Then I check the news, usually via Drudge Report. I'll hit up Pajiba to see what new reviews are in. I check Go Fug Yourself daily, because bad fashion is a must. On Sundays, I read PostSecret.

Usually at this point, I'll check my email, Facebook, and ONTD again.

Then on to my literary feeds, which take awhile. There's Jacket Copy, obviously, and Critical Mass. There's McSweeney's, Texas Pages, and Three Percent. I also hit up The Book Design Review, Slate Magazine, and Paper Cuts.

At this point, it's time for my email, Facebook, and ONTD again.

Then it's on to personal blogs such as Deus Ex Malcontent, Epiphany in Baltimore, and Little Man, What Now?.

Usually after all this, it's time for a game or two. And that's a whole OTHER post. Right now I'm trying to finish a game of Triad in under 5 minutes.

Sheesh, no wonder I hardly get anything done.

3 comments:

raych said...

Dude, I hear you. And even after I've JUST checked my bloglines and my Facebook and my email and there's nothing new, I'm poking through my 'Favorites' folder to see if there's something else I shouldn't be checking. The internet is really just a reality-avoidance scheme.

Edwin Hesselthwite said...

Cheers for the plug Biblio...

Normal service will be resumed when we get our shit together.

Little Man, What Now?

heather (errantdreams) said...

I don't even want to think about how poorly I spend my online time... :)