Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I like to think I'll find you again

Cake
Doreen Fitzgerald

When you reference one of my favorite foods in your title, I'm immediately impressed. So I began Cake, a collection of selected poems by Doreen Fitzgerald, with a favorable outlook.

Cake's poems are short, mostly all a single page. The shortest is the title piece, which reads They say you can't / have it / and eat it too, / but then, / while you're chewing, / it's all yours.

Despite the playful tone of "Cake" most of the other pieces are more serious in nature, especially when Fitzgerald writes of her past. Those with a nostalgic feel are among the most powerful, as well as those which discussed nature. (The title of this post, by the way, comes from one of my favorites entitled "From the Far Side.")

My only criticism is that quite a few poems had an unfinished feel to them, which prevented me from connecting with them on a deeper level. Even though Cake would benefit from another round of editing, the ideas presented in it are solid.

In a nutshell: A bit uneven but there are several gems to be found.

Bibliolatry Scale: 3.5 out of 6 stars

No comments: