Friday, January 02, 2009

Jane Austen shouldn't have so much power

Jane Austen Ruined My Life
Beth Pattillo

Note: This novel was read in 2008.

This little book was quite literally a surprise: an ARC showed up at my door one day, despite my not having requested one. I didn't expect to like it, as it seemed a little "chick-litty" to me. However, I've never been one to look a gift book in the mouth, so I thanked the bookish gods and read away.

I was pleasantly surprised. Despite its flaws, I truly enjoyed Jane Austen Ruined my Life. (I still take issue with anyone, real or fictional, giving Jane Austen so much power over her life, but whatever. Just because I can only stomach Austen once every few years and only after some libations to help ease 'er down doesn't mean I can't appreciate her place in the canon. But ruin my life? C'mon.)

Anyway, our narrator Emma doesn't agree. Emma is so affected by Austen's work that she's dedicated her life to its study. In fact, even her life seemed to be moving along just like an Austen novel: she's married, teaching, and planning a productive, peaceful life. Unfortunately, Emma soon finds her husband in flagrante delicto, forcing her to realize life is not always as Austen would have written.

Left: In lieu of an author photo, please except this lovely illustration entitled "Disco Jane Austen"

Professional problems ensue as a result of her husband's affair, and Emma takes flight to England. Her purpose is more than just to escape from her problems, though; she also intends to follow up on a scholarly lead. A Mrs. Parrot has recently contacted her, claiming to possess rare Austen letters that scholars had long considered destroyed. Thinking that such a discovery would end many of her troubles, she sets out to find whether Parrot speaks fact or fiction.

Her quest for knowledge will not be an easy one, however. Mrs. Parrot makes Emma jump through several hoops before giving her the information Emma desires. In the end, Emma learns as much about herself as about Jane Austen.

Jane Austen Ruined my Life is not a perfect novel, but it is a perfectly enjoyable one. There were a few predictable moments, but the prose is engaging and the plot flows quickly and smoothly.

In a nutshell: A light, fun read that provides a few hours of entertainment, even if one predicts how things will end long before our protagonist does.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an enjoyable read. And I love the disco Jane Austen pic!