Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I'm neither thinking nor feeling this one

No One Belongs Here More Than You
Miranda July

Another day, another disappointment.

I'd heard so much about No One Belongs Here More Than You, and I was eagerly awaiting it to appear in paperback so I too could join the cool kids in praising July from the mountaintops. She's so quirky! So profound!

Obviously, I didn't enjoy No One as much as I expected. Nor can I even say I can recognize its merits; all in all, I was thoroughly disappointed.

The only strength of this collection is July's voice, which is both unique and compelling. Were it not for her prose, I never would have gotten through some of the stories.

Upon further reflection, I might give her another go one day. I mean look at her: she's seems like someone I ought to like. Quirky. Profound. Perhaps the Beast of Overhype has struck again, making my disappointment all but inevitable.

In a nutshell: I feel "uncool" not liking this book (it seems all the bright young things are digging it) but I just didn't connect.

Bibliolatry Scale: 2.5 out of 6 stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book has been the object of hundreds of "should I?/shoudn't I?" conversations in the bookstore. I've never actually pulled the trigger and bought it, but I've thought about it since, as you say, all the hip, young people seem to like it and, though I've been hip, I'm still relatively young.

But since your response to this one seems to be a big, "Meh" I think it'll be a while yet before I actually buy and read this one. Sorry to hear you were disappointed!