Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Something's rotten in Denmark...

Now You See Him
Eli Gottlieb

You can tell something's not quite right from the opening pages of Gottlieb's Now You See Him, but it's impossible to quite put one's finger on it. Now You See Him is yet another title in my reading resolution. This reading train is outta control, I tell ya! It's only a matter of time before this bitch jumps the tracks.

Anyway, back to the novel. As I was saying, it's clear from the onset that something's rotten in Denmark, although the exact nature of the stench isn't quite clear. Is it simply the murder-suicide that's bothering our narrator? Surely, that would be enough to send even the toughest minds reeling. Or is something else afoot? That remains to be seen.

The novel opens as our narrator, Nick, opines about his late best friend, a writer who has just murdered his ex-girlfriend before killing himself. The loss of Rob sends Nick into a tailspin, and it's only a matter of time until Nick is going to have to face his demons. As the novel progresses, the suspense increases, and it becomes clear that a reckoning is at hand. I was pleased to see that I didn't anticipate the final twist, and I enjoyed watching Nick deal with both his and Rob's pasts.

The novel's design is also worth mentioning, as the hardcover itself features black-and-white trees, and the dust jacket is made of thin tissue paper that allows the hardcover to be seen through it. The design doesn't really add anything to the book itself, but it sure made this gal's eyes pop.

In a nutshell: Riveting story, pretty jacket. Oooh, tissue paper. Pretty.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4.5 out of 6 stars


3 comments:

Scriptor Senex said...

Thanks for yet another good review Bibliolatrist - you're recommending them faster than I can read them at the moment. (Ignoring the issue of getting hold of them!)

Bibliolatrist said...

I'm glad to hear it -- I'm just hoping I can continue at this pace. I'm worried that I'll soon run out of steam!

Sandra said...

I really enjoyed this story too. I got an offer to review it (after I'd read it-I was quick on that one) and give away a copy. A bad patch healthwise has held it up but I will get to it. So glad to find another blogger who liked it too. Thanks for reviewing it.