Saturday, January 03, 2009

Bummer

Travels in the Scriptorium
Paul Auster

Note: This novel was read in 2008.

Hm. This is one of those books that I know is good, but I don't feel is good. Does that make sense?

I've read that Travels in the Scriptorium shouldn't be one's first encounter with Auster, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I should have heeded this surely wise warning. I can appreciate the intellectual value behind Travels, but I wanted to be more moved by the reading.

I'll catch up with Auster again, I'm sure...but most certainly NOT before the end of 2009.

In a nutshell: Intelligent, but mostly blah overall.

Bibiolatry Scale: 3 out of 6 stars

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love Paul Auster but I agree with your assessment of him. Some of his books simply fill me with wonder they are so good, so full of deep emotion. Others are intellectually interesting but so emotionally distant that it can be difficult to care.

For your next read may I recommend The Book of Illusion.