Monday, January 26, 2009

Two uptight ninnies make for a good read

On Chesil Beach
Ian McEwan

On Chesil Beach is yet another title in my reading resolution adventure. Others have remarked that it's a fast read, and it was. After only a few hours, and badda bing! Another title down!

The novel begins as Edward and Florence embark upon the first night of their honeymoon. A newly married couple, the two are both anticipating The Big Night. Unfortunately, both have different opinions of the event. Edward, not surprisingly, can barely contain his excitement. Florence, on the other hand, feels only dread at the prospect of consummating her marriage.


insert frigid joke here


While the conflict that arises between these two is attributed mainly to their differing opinions regarding sex, the bigger (and more common) problem faced by the two is due to a lack of communication. As the conflict reaches its peak, feelings are hurt, irrevocable decisions are made, and both lives are forever changed. On Chesil Beach is a simple novel, but is one that speaks volumes about how rash decisions have life-long implications.

In a nutshell: Not my favorite of McEwan's novels, but definitely worth the time.

Bibliolatry Scale: 4 out of 6 stars



5 comments:

Molly said...

Good review - but I absolutely LOVED the title of your post!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This is one book I need to get to. It's in my stacks for 2009. Thanks for posting.

Jo said...

I picked this up i a charity shop last week. I will get to it at some point this year.

Anonymous said...

This was the first of McEwan's books I read, and I enjoyed it (as I enjoyed the post title!). After that I tried Saturday and HATED it and have been wary of McEwan ever since. What are your favourite of his novels ?

Bibliolatrist said...

Saturday was my least favorite of his books, so I understand your wariness. Atonement was my all-time favorite, although most readers I've found either loved it or hated it altogether.