Friday, July 18, 2008

As the weekend looms, some bookish links

There's a lot going on this week, so spend your Friday doing some Internet surfing, instead of, you know, something productive.

First up, Slate explains the business of selling "blind" books and why Shakespeare is the world's worst stolen treasure.

Now on to The Millions, who has directed me to two particularly interesting articles this week. First, we have the 50 outstanding literary translations from the last 50 years as well as compiled lists of summer reading.

Now this is just cool. As soon as I read about this cool weapon I couldn't help but think of Ian McDonald's Brasyl, which passed in a whirlwind of atom blades and multiverses. Even more mind-blowing, however, is the video you'll find if you click the link -- it's truly mind-blowing. No lie: I watched it like three times.

Speaking of science fiction, lookee what I just bought! It will be a nice to add to this and this, but I'm not sure if I can come up with more dick jokes.

And finally, since we're on the subject of shopping, somebody needs to buy me this, which I found thanks to Pajiba. It's only 90 bucks. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that zombie sculpture is fantastic!

I read tons of Philip K. Dick when I was in college. I kinda think if you've read one then you've read 'em all -- but the one novel he keeps writing over and over again is a good one! A Scanner Darkly was my favorite. Also loved Palmer Eldritch.

Bibliolatrist said...

I agree with you re: Dick, Julie - from what I've read of him so far, each novel seems very different yet exactly the same. That said, I feel compelled to read more of him, and I can't figure out why.

Stefania - The Italian Backpacker said...

Check out The Guardian's Summer Reading List posted on my blog... It's quite interesting.
Excellent blog, by the way!

PS: I see that you like LOST, so do I! Can't wait till January...

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read any of his short stories? I have a collection of his short stories which I enjoyed very much last year. In any case, I'd never been particularly into sci-fi before reading that collection and I ended up liking it more than I thought.