Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Each for himself is still the rule

The French Lieutenant's Woman
John Fowles

John Fowles has long been an author I've admired, even though I've only read a few of his novels. The Magus had a profound effect on me, and as soon as I feel up to the challenge, I plan to reread it. The Collector solidified my love for him, even if reading it did dredge up some unpleasant memories. So when I saw the movie version of The French Lieutenant's Woman appearing repeatedly on digital cable, I knew I had to read the book immediately.

Unfortunately, I was a bit confused. The plot blurb advertising the film led me to believe that it was about two Victorians in love and the actors who portray them. This, in turn, lead me to expect something sorta like Possession, a treat I'd rather prefer not to experience again. And so I began The French Lieutenant's Woman in a tizzy of ambivalence and confusion -- for the actors never appeared at all. Lo and behold, my digital cable had tricked me yet again: the film was not at all like the novel. Which is good, because I later watched about thirty minutes of the film and only prevented myself from stabbing myself in the eyeball through the most supreme exercise of will.

Anyway, The French Lieutenant's Woman is, basically, about a love triangle. Charles and Ernestina are engaged, and go to Lyme Regis to vacation. There, they see Sarah, an enigmatic figure known by the locals as "The French Lieutenant's Woman," a fallen woman who has lost her reputation. Charles and Sarah begin an odd relationship which both know is doomed. Technically, however, it's a match made in heaven, as both Charles and Sarah are so godawful annoying that that they deserve one another -- and a kick in the ass to boot.

The French Lieutenant's Woman is interesting not so much for the plot or the characters, but more for the narrative devices employed by Fowles. The author frequently employs a modern perspective when discussing events from a century earlier. Fowles also injects himself into the narrative, commenting on the events and explaining a bit of his narrative choices.

Those that like clear-cut endings will be disappointed by The French Lieutenant's Woman, which offers two, completely disparate, endings. The endings, however, are not the point, since an epigraph from Marx tells us that this novel is about "emancipation," and it cannot be denied that emancipation plays a large role in the events of the novel: Charles, Sarah, and Ernestina all experience an emancipation of sorts, and even the conventions of storytelling are freed from their normal boundaries.

That said, The French Lieutenant's Woman didn't "wow" me as did my previous excursions into the world of John Fowles. I'm glad that I read it, but, unlike The Magus, this is not a book I plan to reread in the future.

In a nutshell: Not as mind-blowing as The Magus or as compelling as The Collector, but still a must for fans of Fowles.

Bibliolatry Scale: 3.5 out of 6 stars

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely that the main thing about this book is the narrative devices -- which is why I loved it so much. I read the book first, and I couldn't imagine how they would adapt it for the screen. The present-day actors were a poor substitute for the voice of the author/modern perspective.

I also loved The Collector but had trouble getting into The Magus. I will have to give it another try, I think.

Anonymous said...

You've intrigued me--I may just have to read this. Forget rounded characters or a well thought-out plot, I'm a sucker for narrative. One of my favorite books, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, I love for the narrative (and Death as the narrator). I mean, how I can you not love descriptions like:

"His voice also held on, as if possessing fingernails. He pressed it into her flesh."

Narration and description are awesome. :-)

Charles Pooter said...

The Magus is the only Fowles volume that I have read. It freaked me out somewhat and I'm still not sure exactly what to make of it!