Sunday, July 20, 2008

Weekly Geeks 12:Catching Up

This week’s Weekly Geeks theme allows Geeks to catch up on those books that have been read but not yet reviewed.

I’m actually pretty good about reviewing what I’ve read; even if I don’t always do so immediately, mostly everything I read gets reviewed. There have been, however, two exceptions to this rule, and I find that they are both classics: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (by Maya Angelou) and A Clockwork Orange (by Anthony Burgess).

I think my hesitation to review these books stems from a lack of having anything new to say about them. They're both classics, they're both amazing, neither is particularly easy to read, although for different reasons -- but still, what else can I say about them that hasn't already been said?

Enter Dewey's WG theme, which will provide a handy way for me to solve this problem.

To participate in this theme, I will:

1. List books I’ve read but haven’t reviewed yet.

2. Ask readers to ask questions about these books in the comments section of this post.

3. Later, I'll take these questions and use them in a post about each book. Like Dewey, I’ll probably turn mine into a sort of interview-review, and I'll link to everyone whose questions appear (which will probably be everyone who asks a question).

So, readers, you have your assignment! Leave your questions about either I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and/or A Clockwork Orange below, and be on the lookout for the answers to come!

11 comments:

Alessandra said...

How did you like A Clockwork Orange? What did you think of the strange language of the main character?

Amanda said...

I've been wanting to read A Clockwork Orange but I remember seeing the movie a while back and wasn't sure if I'd like the book after that. Have you seen the movie as well and how does it compare with the book?

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

My questin for you is about A Clockwork Orange - This was written as a social satire of man's inhumanity to one another, do you feel it is relevant or an over-exaggeration?

Anonymous said...

My question was going to be about A Clockwork Orange, but it looks like that's covered. So..

I've heard so much about I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings over the years but have never picked it up. Hype always worried me. What inspired you to read it, what was the strongest message that permeated throughout, and how do you feel having finished it?

Bybee said...

Did your edition of A Clockwork Orange have a lexicon at the back? Mine did, created by Stanley Edgar Hyman, husband of Shirley Jackson. Fun Lit Factoid. OK, I'll shut up now.

Anonymous said...

On A Clockwork Orange: Did you struggle with the "new" vocabulary the author introduces? Did you feel the violence was too much or necessary? Was the violence well-written? If you've seen the movie, how does it compare?

Dewey said...

What led you to read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings? Did it inspire you to seek out more of Angelou's work? What was the most striking scene for you, from her childhood?

Anonymous said...

For someone who has never heard all the hype over these two novels, how would you describe these novels? What would you say to convince someone to read these novels, even though it's obviously outside of their comfort zone (namely me). :)

Anonymous said...

I thought of another one...

I tend to stay away from real world fiction because I believe I get enough of that through the news. Is there anything in either novels that doesn't feel like someone has seen it on the news lately or that they might possibly see it on the news in the future? (thinking of the near future, within one's lifetime)

Anonymous said...

I'm just here to say 'yea! great questions!' and I'm looking forward to your answers. :)

Joy Renee said...

the list of questions I've been leaving with all the WG could be just the thing you need.

I've read Caged Bird but not Clockwork Orange tho I did see the movie on DVD about 20 months ago. Very disturbing indeed. I'm usually of the opinion that movies based on novels though they may have their own pluses never capture the whole of the story in all its layered glory. If you've also seen the movie, what essential thing from the book was left out?

now my list:

I'm interested in the technique and art of storytelling itself so anything along that line would interest me. My questions are for any or all of the fiction titles in your list:

How was Point-of-View handled? Was there a single POV character or did it alternate among two or more. Was it always clear whose eyes and mind were filtering?

How was language used to set tone and mood?

Was the prose dense or spare? Were sentences generally simple or complex?

How was metaphor used? Were associations fresh or did they tend toward cliche? Did they add to your understanding of the theme?

What was the central or organizing theme?

How does the title relate to the story? Was it fitting?
>>>>
BTW I'm hosting a book giveaway this week. Four copies of Still Summer by Jacquelyn Mitchard. Four chances to enter until Saturday 3PM PST.