Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Everything he loved was on his doorstep

The Enchantress of Florence
Salman Rushdie

Another review of mine has been posted at Pajiba, and this time it's on the latest by Salman Rushdie, The Enchantress of Florence. I haven't read much in favor of this novel, so I was less than thrilled to begin. All things considered, I was pleasantly surprised, although Rushdie is still far from being one of my contemporary faves.

To read my thoughts on The Enchantress of Florence, you may click here.

In a nutshell: Not the best, not the worst. Rushdie's still a pimp.

Bibliolatry Scale: 3 out of 6 stars

5 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I just won this book in a contest last month, but my reading backlog forced me to put it aside for now. I had only read one review before yours, and that person like the book. Now that I've hear somewhat opposing viewpoints, it will be interesting to see what I think of it once I do read it.

I'll hang on to this link so I can include it in my review whenever I get around to writing it.

Anonymous said...

Did you see your Uncle Jim's review on RabbitReader? He loves all things Rushdie. I haven't tried any yet! -- Ramona

Anonymous said...

Jenn:

A pimp??? Where on earth did you get that? Explain thyself, woman!

-Chiron

Bibliolatrist said...

It's a compliment -- he's a pimp because he goes through women faster than any unattractive man I've ever seen. That man must have a honey-coated tongue.

Ok now I've officially grossed myself out.

Anonymous said...

Bibli:

In MY generation, a pimp means big, feathery hats, lots of bling, a cadillac with tiger-stripe seatcovers, and a chain for a steering wheel.

NOT a compliment, although, I have to say, I have heard some millenials use it the way you did. In fact, now that I think about it, someone called me a pimp in those days bfore I settled down.